Friday, October 6, 2017

Well Being Through Food

I'm all about wellbeing.  It's even in the name of my company.  I started thinking about all the different ways I incorporate wellbeing into my day and realized that the food I eat is part of my wellbeing.  So, today I'm going to share a recipe I made this week.

I made Acorn Squash.  And I made it in my Instant Pot.  So it was a total win.  A yummy dish made in my favorite kitchen appliance.  

Why Acorn Squash?  The nutritional value of acorn squash is great.  According to organicfacts.net, 
in terms of vitamins and minerals, acorn squash has significant levels of vitamin C, vitamin A, thiamin, pantothenic acid, and other B-family vitamins, and its range of minerals is truly impressive, including potassium, magnesium, manganese, iron, copper, phosphorous, and calcium. You can read more about acorn squash in their article here:  Acorn Squash


Here is a step by step guide to cook acorn squash.  This squash need to be cut from top to bottom.  Then there are seed and mush inside that needs to be removed. 




Once your squash are cleaned out, take a fork and poke holes in the meat of the squash.  You're going to add some butter and spices to the meat, so it will soak in with the perforations. 


I use real butter.  I added some cinnamon bark essential oil to some slightly melted butter to pour into the inside of the squash shells.  I then sprinkled nutmeg on the squash. 



Before I put the squash into the Instant Pot (IP) I added 1 cups water and the trivet that came with my IP.  Then I placed the two halves on the trivet. 



I set the IP to 4 minutes on manuel and let the IP do it's think.  It takes a few minutes for it to come up to pressure, and once it does that, then the 4 minutes start.  I allowed the IP to do a natural pressure release before I opened the lid. 



The squash came out perfectly!!  Soft, not mushy, nicely spiced and easy to eat.  

I love using food as a way to practice self care and to contribute to my wellbeing.  How do you practice using food to nourish your body and wellbeing?




No comments:

Post a Comment